Friday, November 7, 2008

Cake Love




                                          my decorating skill progression in the making...

A few months ago I stumbled across a food blog that featured several beautiful decorated cakes, and it made me wonder how the heck people know how to do that kinda stuff.  Initially, it was my belief that cake decorating was something that you were born with. Either you have it or you don't.  I just assumed there were certain girls who came into the world wired to cake decorate and eventually became those grannies who always had something mouthwatering and equally aesthetically pleasing in the oven.  It never crossed my mind that it was an art of patience, trial and error, and tons of practice.  This past summer I discovered the
Wilton method instruction course.  They teach everything from basic buttercream to elegant fondant.  In just a few months Mabel and I have increased our cake repertoire by tenfold.  I went from using Betty Crocker can icing to making my own.  Now I make excuses to bake cakes for all my friends' birthdays.  They must think I sniff a little too much powdered sugar.  Anyways, if you're interested or even curious about cakes, definitely check out the Wilton courses offered at Michaels.  I always look forward to it, and it's definitely one of the highlights of my week.  
Oh yeah.. I'm entering Anthropologie's annual holiday bake-off this weekend! I'm so nervous but really excited. No expectations, but my competitive ass wants to win ;)  wish me luck!!!

cheers,
m



1 comments:

Mabel said...

Nice pics, good luck with the contest..I am sure you will win, your cookies are the best!!!